Health Insurance


Open Enrollment for this past year is over. You can still get 2020 health insurance two ways:

More information on the "Special Enrollment Period" is noted below.

SPECIAL ENROLLMENT PERIOD:  Life Changes that Qualify
Periodo Especial para Inscripciones:  Cambios en la vida que califican

After the Marketplace closes on December 15, 2019, individuals may apply for the special enrollment period if the changes in their life qualify.

Loss of health insurance:  You may qualify for a Special Enrollment Period (SEP) if you or anyone in your household lost qualifying health coverage in the past 60 days OR expects to lose coverage in the next 60 days. Coverage losses that may qualify:

  • Losing job-based coverage
  • Losing COBRA coverage
  • Losing individual health coverage for a plan or policy you bought yourself
  • Losing eligibility for Medicaid or CHIP
  • Losing eligibility for Medicare
  • Losing coverage through a family member

Changes in household size:  You may qualify for an SEP if you or anyone in your household in the past 60 days:

  • Got married. Pick a plan by the last day of the month and your coverage can start the first day of the next month. 
  • Had a baby, adopted a child, or placed a child for foster care. Your coverage can start the day of the event – even if you enroll in the plan up to 60 days afterward.
  • Got divorced or legally separated AND lost health insurance. (Note:  Divorce or legal separation WITHOUT losing coverage doesn’t qualify you for an SEP.)
  • Death. You’ll be eligible for an SEP if someone on your Marketplace plan dies and as a result you’re no longer eligible for your current health plan.

Changes in residence:  Household moves that qualify you for an SEP: 

  • Moving to a new home in a new ZIP code or county
  • Moving to the U.S. from a foreign country of United States territory
  • A student moving to or from the place they attend school
  • A seasonal worker moving to or from the place they both live and work
  • Moving to or from a shelter or other transitional housing

Note:  Moving only for medical treatment or staying somewhere for vacation doesn’t qualify you for an SEP.

Important:  You must prove you had qualifying health coverage for one or more days during the 60 days before your move. You don’t need to provide proof if you’re moving from a foreign country or United States territory.

More Qualifying Changes:  Other life circumstances that may qualify you for an SEP:

  • Changes that make you no longer eligible for Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
  • Gaining membership in a federally recognized tribe or status as an Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) Corporation shareholder
  • Becoming newly eligible for Marketplace coverage because you became a U.S. citizen
  • Leaving incarceration
  • AmeriCorps VISTA members starting or ending their service

Visit for more complex issues.